Thursday 2 May 2013

God Leads Us Along

Youtube logo Royalty Free Stock ImageAPOLOGY:  PHOTOGRAPH OR IMAGE OF GEORGE A. YOUNG NOT AVAILABLE


© Copyright 2013 PJ Stassen
All Rights Reserved


A zero?  That’s good news.  If I am a zero, and Jesus is one, that makes ten. I wish I were two zeroes, and that would make a hundred.
        -          David Du Plessis.


    I discovered this song, written in the 19th century by a carpenter, George A. Young, very late in my life, and what a shame; but, thank God for the Gaither Homecoming singers who had brought it back to life and restored it to its rightful place for the classic of a gem that it is. Apparently it used to be a familiar song in the early 20th century evangelical revivals, and was even mentioned by the late Dr. David Du Plessis, in life internationally known as ‘Mr. Pentecost’, in his autobiography, 'A Man Called Mr. Pentecost'.  He recalls the early days of his ministry in South Africa (from the year 1927):

   “Two days later, Anna and I had our first date. She agreed to go with me to the midnight service at the church on New Year’s Eve.  As I went to pick her up at work that evening, I wasn’t absolutely certain I’d recognise her in a crowd. I was afraid that, having seen her only once, I’d miss her.
   “But I didn’t miss her.  She was working at the threepenny counter, the cheapest section of a five-and-ten cent store downtown.  The manager told me, as I inquired for her, ‘I put Anna at the threepenny counter because she’s the prettiest and friendliest girl I've got.  So when people come in they see this pretty girl, and they’re always willing to spend threepenny just to talk to her.’

    “At church, the congregation was singing, ‘Some through the fire, some through the flood, some through great trial, but all the blood,’ when we both were touched by the Lord.  Before we knew it, we were dedicating our lives to Him … together.” (DuPlessis & Slosser, 1977:51).  

The Bible says:


Matthew 11:25  At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank You, O Father, Lord of Heaven and earth, because You have hidden these things from the sophisticated and cunning, and revealed them to babes.
Matthew 11:26  Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight.
Matthew 11:27  All things are delivered to Me by My Father. And no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son will reveal Him.
Matthew 11:28  Come to Me all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Matthew 11:29  Take My yoke on you and learn of Me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, and you shall find rest to your souls.
Matthew 11:30  For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light. (MKJV, eSword).

   ‘Some thru the waters, some thru the flood; some the fire, all thru the blood; some thru great sorrow, but God gives a song, in the night season, and all the day long’, goes the chorus of this great inspirational song, so loved by those who had passed through much adversity, hardship and debilitating affliction.  I quote from two verses only: 

YouTube

God leads Us Along

(George A. Young, 19th Century/© Copyright 1968 Singspiration, Inc.  Zondervan Publishing House.  Grand Rapids, Michigan/Other sources give the song as PUBLIC DOMAIN)

In shady green pastures, so rich and so sweet,
God leads His dear children along;
Where the water’s cool flow bathes the weary one’s feet,
God leads His dear children along.

Sometimes on the mount where the sun shines so bright,
God leads His dear children along;
Sometimes in the valley, in darkest of night,
God leads His dear children along.

CHORUS: Some thru the waters, some thru the flood,
Some thru the fire, but all thru the blood;
Solme thru great sorrow, but God gives a song,
In the night season and all the day long.
Bibliography

1.  Du Plessis, David & Slosser, Bob (1977)  A Man Called Mr. Pentecost.  Logos International. Plainfield, New Jersey.
2.  RevivalLibrary. 'David DuPlessis'. Accessed At <http://www.revival-library.org/pensketches/am_pentecostals/duplessis.html> [online] 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment