Thursday 30 May 2013

At The Cross

Youtube logo Royalty Free Stock Image
© Copyright 2013 PJ Stassen
All Rights Reserved

If faith did not exist apart from intellect, clever people would have a better hope of salvation than stupid people.
-          R.H. Benson, 1871-1914.


   The Cross at Calvary stood at the crossroads of history.  Where the Cross, the Universal Marker of the Maker of Heaven and Earth, once stood, after two millenniums still points to the spot where Christ had died for the sins of the World.  It was also on the Cross where Jesus of Nazareth, with outstretched arms, took the hand of man and the Hand of God and reunited them again as friends for the first time since the fall of mankind.  It was at the Cross where I first saw the light, and the burdens of my heart rolled away!  
   This song, At The Cross, and especially the CHORUS part, featured strongly during the tent-revivals and gospel crusades of the fifties onward toward the millennium in 2000.   Although contemporary praise and worship songs have sidelined it a little as far as corporate congregational singing is concerned (which is quite understandable) it nevertheless remains a firm favourite.

YouTube

At The Cross

(Original Verses: Isaac Watts, 1674-1748/Chorus: Ralph E. Hudson, 1843-1901)

Alas! And did my Saviour bleed?
And did my Sovereign die?
Would He devote that sacred head
For such a worm as I?

Was it for crimes that I have done
He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! Grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!

Well might the sun in darkness hide
And shut his glories in,
When Christ, the Mighty Maker died
For man the creature’s sin.

But drops of grief can never repay
The debt of love I owe;
Here, Lord, I give myself away …
'Tis all that I can do.

CHORUS: At the cross, at the cross, where I first saw the light,
And the burden of my heart rolled away;
It was there by faith I received my sight,
And now I am happy all the day!


Piet Stassen

Bibliography
1.  Peterson, John V. et al (1968) Singspiration® Great Hymns Of The Faith. ‘At The Cross’. Zondervan Publishing Co. Grand Rapids, Michigan.
2.  Hymntime. 'Ralph E. Hudson'. Accessed At <http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/b/l/e/blessedb.htm> [online] 2013.
3.  Wikipedia. ‘Isaac Watts’. Accessed At <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Watts> [online] 2013. 

No comments:

Post a Comment