Saturday 20 July 2013

Why Me Lord

Youtube logo Royalty Free Stock Image© Copyright 2013 PJ Stassen
All Rights Reserved

The great act of faith is when a man decides that he is not God.
-          Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, 1841-1935.


   This gospel song in the country & western genre was very popular at the time it hit the radio-market long before South Africa could boast the luxury of television, and I have included it in the collection mainly for two reasons, i.e. it is a beautiful, humble prayer in song and it shows footage of Elvis Presley teaming up with renowned gospel singer J.D. Sumner, the world record holder for the lowest bass note ever sang, and with a voice sounding as if coming from a 'sarchophagus'. 

YouTube

Why Me Lord

(Kris Kristofferson, 1936)

Why me Lord?
What have I ever done
To deserve even one,
Of the pleasures I’ve known?
Tell me, Lord
What did I ever do
That was worth loving You
For the kindness You’ve shown?


Tell me lord
If You think there’s a way
I can try to repay
All I’ve taken from You.
Maybe Lord, I can show someone else
What I’ve been through myself
On my way back to You.

CHORUS
Lord help me, Jesus
I’ve wasted it so, help me Jesus
I know what I am.
But now that I know
That I needed You so help me Jesus
My soul’s in Your hands.

  
Piet Stassen

Bibliography

1.  Andrews, Allen (1969) Quotations For Speakers And Writers. Newnes Books. Hamlyn Publishing Group Ltd. London.
2.  ATLBusiness. ‘J.D.Sumner’. Accessed At <http://atlbusiness.net/2012/06/19/j-d-sumner-memorial-with-rick-strickland-ministries/> [online] 2013.
3.  LyricsMode. ‘Why Me Lord’. Accessed At http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/k/kris_kristofferson/why_me_lord.html> [online] 2013.07 20
4.  Telegraph (Fashion, UK).  ‘Elvis Presley’s Favourite Watch’. Accessed At <http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-features/TMG8018907/Elvis-Presleys-favourite-watch.html > [online] 2013.Wikipedia. ‘Kris Kristofferson’. Accessed At <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kris_Kristofferson> [online] 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment