Tuesday 19 November 2013

Cleanse Me

 Cleanse MeCopyright 2013 PJ Stassen
All Rights Reserved

Mankind will not be reasoned out of the feelings of humanity.
-       Sir William Blackstone, 1723-1780.



   The human race was not worth dying for, so Christ came from Heaven to die for us … to make us worth dying for.  Nobody today can deserve Heaven (or Salvation) on the basis of good works or an exemplary life … had that been possible, all the work of Jesus Christ, including His sacrifice at Calvary and resurrection in Gethsemane, would have been in vain. If we really could earn our Salvation, we would not have needed it anyway … we would then have qualified automatically on the grounds of personal merit. 
   Our legal position has been clarified, i.e. justified by faith in Christ; but, our moral condition still clamours for something better, something nobler, something purer … hence the prayer: “Cleanse me O Lord, and know my heart today!”  The born-again child of God will not rest until his/her moral condition has been brought on par with his/her legal position in Christ.  This is the basis of all sanctification.  We may never attain it in this life, but what spiritual exertion may bravely have failed to attain, the blood of Christ will ultimately accomplish.  Our final hope is on Christ, not on our own treacherous selves. 
   It has been said, “The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on!”  While the hounds of hell are haunting and taunting the faithful, ridiculing their hope and faith in that humble Carpenter from Nazareth, while the dogs of dissent and unbelief are harassing the gullible and naive masses in the madding crowd with their anti-gospel of  ‘Atheism-Evolutionism’, the faithful sheep of the Good Shepherd nevertheless pray undisturbed, their eyes fixed on the Author and Finisher of their Faith, Jesus Christ:  “Cleanse Me O Lord!” Amen.  

YouTube 

Cleanse Me

(J.Edwin Orr, 1912-1987/Maori melody, Arr. by Norman Johnson, 1928-)

Search me, O God, and know my heart today;
Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray.
See if there be some wicked way in me:
Cleanse me from ev’ry sin and set me free.

I praise Thee, Lord, for cleansing me from sin;
Fulfill Thy Word and make me pure within.
Fill me with fire where once I burned with shame;
Grant my desire to magnify Thy Name.

Lord, take my life and make it wholly Thine;
Fill my poor heart with Thy great love divine.
Take all my will, my passion, self and pride;
I now surrender, Lord in me abide.

O Holy Ghost, revival comes from Thee;
Send a revival ‒ start the work in me.
Thy Word declares, Thou wilt supply our need;
For blessings now, O Lord, I humbly plead.



Piet Stassen

Bibliography

1.     Andrews, Allen (1969)   Quotations For Speakers And Writers.  Newnes Books.  Hamlyn Publishing Group Ltd. London.
2.     Peterson, John W. (1968)   Great Hymns Of The Faith. ‘Cleanse Me’. Zondervan Publishing House.  Grand Rapids, Michigan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment